I’ve heard lots of good advice on this subject from many wonderful mothers. One friend talked about how she waited until her boys were three, and then talked it up positively with them, taking them to the store to have them pick out their big boy underwear, having them decide on a reward system, and more. Her boys got it down in three days. I’ll go for that! Yet, every kid is different, so we’ll see how it goes. I’ve talked about it with Ethan everyday this week. We decided on this paycheck to not buy any more diapers, and just get some pull-ups for night. I’ve heard daytime potty training is one thing; night is a whole other ball park, so I’m keeping it simple with pull-ups at night only, for now.
I have a cute Sesame Street fold up toilet lid for outings, getting that sweet small toilet lid within a big toilet lid at Home Depot, and will be packing extra clothes for accidents away from home. Anything I’m forgetting?
I also heard to stay home for that first week, and just work on it. No need to get upset when they have accidents, its a great learning experience for them when they do mess up. I’m just excited to only have one kid in diapers, and to see Ethan’s excitement over his accomplishment.
So, do tell me anything that you found to be helpful, because here we go!
Just for funsies, some pics of the boys I got yesterday. Practicing with the great 1.8 aperture of my 50mm lens, hoping to do well on these upcoming photo shoots. Practice, practice, practice..
B/w and sepia Lightroom presets from Coffeshop
Its gotten so hot here, that I cut Ethan’s hair really short. I personally like a little more hair to style, but I bet he’s more comfortable in this heat. Plus, I used the buzzer on Kevin for the first time, and he didn’t freak out at all! Yea!
PS: I’m using Windows Live Writer to write this blog post, and its seems a lot better than doing it the old blog way. For one, loading pics and making them bigger was a snap. It also gives the pics a drop shadow. It has spell check. It lets you preview what it looks like exactly on the blog, better than blogger. Adding links is a ton easier, because it gives you the option to have the link open in a new window, instead of the old way I did it. So far, I’m liking making my blog posts in here!
HERE is a more detailed explanation about it, on another good blog.





7 comments:
when you are home let him run around without any bottoms on...nudey booty we call it at our house. when there is nothing there to catch it, they seem to catch on faster.
Hey Erin. How much do you charge for a photo shoot? Might be passing through Vegas the end of July and if there is tine I might try to convince my husband to get sone pictures taken. Even though we haven't even printed any of our wedding pictures....
oooooh, the JOYS of potty training :D
I like the nudey booty idea. The less they have to get off the more likely it is that they will be able to make it to the bathroom. Also, don't let him stand to pee yet! It's just asking for trouble. And know when to throw in the towel and try again later.. he might not be ready, and pushing the issue will make it a power struggle, one which you will lose. Lots of praise for when he makes it, and let him help you clean up the mess when he doesn't...
anywho, good luck!
Good luck! Potty training is different with every child...but I like the whole wait til their older and it will go faster thing. Justin was 3 when we potty trained him and it was a snap!
Erin! How you do everything you do is beyond me! I agree with everything everyone has said: nudey booty, wait till he's older. etc.
My two cents is have him help clean up the accidents (not in a "you're in trouble, mister" way, but in a "oopsy! Let's get a towel!" way. Make it as natural and easy a thing as possible. Also, this may sound weird, but it really helped my boys to let them watch daddy do it. It somehow made the whole thing click for them. Also, make it a HUGE deal when he makes it to the toilet on time. We even call daddy at work and let him praise over the phone. My boys loved calling daddy to tell him they made it. Also ham up the awesome big boy undies.
I'm sure you'll be able to get it down and everything will work out. Let us know how it goes!
Hope the potty training is a snap. I know with Matthew it was and it was after he was three. So good luck! And I am using Windows Live Writer now, too. And I think it is awesome as well. Cool stuff.
happy training!!
Post a Comment