Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Made it through another wild day

It seems that this toddler stuff is getting more and more challenging each day. Do you find as soon as you get through one stage, a new one appears? Kevin is now leaving the baby darling stage, and getting more vocal. He says ‘no’ all the time to me, and is quite active in kicking me when I try to change his diaper. Ethan got so mad that he threw something at his bedroom window, and cracked it quite good. Wonderful. He now does timeouts on a chair, where I can supervise him.

Tonight, Ethan was having a rough time with the usual stages he’s going through. He was so worn out from crying and throwing fits over nothing, that he was in a rotten mood. Close to bedtime, I got him sitting next to me on the couch, and read The Friend magazine to him, nice little church stories for kiddos. A spirit of peace slowly came back, and he calmed down. I love that magazine. He then crawled into my lap, and fell asleep in my arms. It was so wonderful, as I never held and rocked my kids to sleep. I just held him, and wanted him so badly to know how much I love him, and that I’m trying to figure out how to be a good mom.

So, I made it through another crazy day. I’m trying, and I’m so thankful for my little men.

3 comments:

Erin said...

Erin, not that I think you're not already doing this, but I try really hard to change my facial expression and voice tone when my kids are doing things they shouldn't. Kids as young as yours look at your face and listen to your tone almost more than anything else you do. They're still trying to figure out what's right and wrong, so I try to leave no question in their mind. When my kids kick, I say no very firmly, and frown, and show with my face and voice that it's not ok, and maybe even make them apologize if they don't stop.
Just hang in there with the time outs. Little people get frustrated, too, so with my kids,I try to allow that they're upset. I just try to help them understand that they have other ways to express frustration--words, being the most encouraged one.
I'm sure you will come to a solution on your own, because i know you're a good mom who takes all her questions to the Lord. He'll guide you! Love you!

Tom and Jen Loveland Family said...

As always, what have you written inspires me. Hang in there and just like you did, cherish every moment and especially the good ones like little ones falling asleep in your arms. :)

Lucy said...

All of us are trying to figure out how to be better moms. I know that you are a wonderful mother. Keep up the good work. Oh, how I need you right now to take our family pics! I can't find anyone to do it for a good price. :(