Monday, May 17, 2010

Impromtu mentor session

This is a story about a tender mercy from the Lord. Let me explain. Almost 2 years ago, I saw the wedding pictures of my friend Alexa. I was amazed at their style and beauty. They were done by Jeanna Hayes, a sweet woman from my old stake. Seeing her pictures inspired me to learn photography better, and started this learning ride I've been on since that summer of 2008. One look at her blog, and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. Her work is amazing, beautiful, and nothing short of stunning. I chatted with her a year ago at church, and she's very kind. So, this weekend, I was able to accompany my fellow photographer friend Jessica to a wedding she was shooting. We had a great time Friday doing couple shots the day before the wedding. (So stress free and relaxing for everyone!) Saturday, Shaun was watching the kids, and I decided to come early, enjoy the temple, and catch some other photographers working. I saw a group getting pictures done, and was excited to just watch. As I got closer, I let out a small squeal of delight. I immediately recognized the photographer was my lady, Jeanna. I guess my squeal was heard by a few people near me. One lady kept looking at me, probably thinking I was mentally deranged. I explained to her that the photographer is my favorite one on the planet, hoping to come across normal, but not being able to stop smiling. I am so silly. Even though I'm somewhat grown up, I still get completely star struck sometimes. The only thing I can compare this to is when my Mom took my on the set of "Knight Rider", when I was about 6 or 7 years old. At the time, I had a huge crush on David Hasselhoff. My mom said 'She kisses the picture of you everyday' and he joked "Ah, she loves me" I melted in shyness behind my mom's legs. Being around Jeanna, I went from grown up to shy, little 6 year old in an instant. I had to tell myself "Relax! Don't sound like a moron!" She finished doing some groups shots, and was now left with the bride and groom. She saw me and said "Erin!". Humbling that she remembered my name. A 'Cars' scene flashed through my mind, where rusty, old Fred says "He knows my name. He knows my name!" I didn't tell her that she was the reason that I started my photography journey, or that I've spent countless hours on her blog, looking at her pictures and gazing into a window of pristine beauty. I simply asked her "Do you mind if I follow you guys to just watch and learn?" She and the couple were totally ok with it. I promised not to get in her way at all, and screamed inside for the joy of arriving early. She was SO gracious and kind to me, saying "Take as many shots as you want" Yea, I did, and I compiled them in these awesome storyboards from Rita. I had 45 minutes with her and the gorgeous couple. I watched, chatted, and took shots constantly. The learning I gained from this was priceless. You can only study online so long. Experiencing it firsthand is huge.
Jeanna was such a pro at posing them, keeping the atmposhere light and fun, and waiting for the right light. She had them relax while she snapped a few pictures to get her settings, constantly checking her screen, and probably histogram. She gave simple vocal commands, and placed them in the right spot for the best lighting. As we walked to another location, she asked me "Having fun?" More than you can imagine!!

LOVE the shoes:D



We finished our loop, and said goodbye to the couple. I shook their hands and thanked them for letting me tag along. Jeanna hugged me goodbye, and I ran over to Jessica and her group, telling Jessica "You would not believe what just happened!"
Here's two girls, Jessica and I, who love our families and our cameras:)
I went to the reception across the street, ate some wonderful ham, dipped fruit in the chocolate fountain, and headed home. I put Lady Antebellum's "American Honey" on repeat, sang my heart out, and had a smile painted on my face that would not come off. Don't you just love it when there's nothing that can take the wind out of your sails? Its a great day when that happens:)
Moral of the story: Heavenly Father loves his children very, very much. Anything that matters to you matters to him. You happiness is of great importance to Him. Everynow and then, he will give a gift in some form of a person, song, event, anything to remind you that He cares so much. This event on Saturday was my gift. Sometimes, it has nothing to do with churchy stuff. He just wants this time on earth to be enjoyable for you. It reminds me when Elder Bednar first became an apostle. The choir sang his favorite hymn "Redeemer of Israel", and it was a tender mercy from the Lord to him. Its so wonderfully true. Thanks for letting me tell my story from this weekend:) I hope you all have a fabulous week!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic



4 comments:

Jason & Claire said...

What a great day;)

Lyndee said...

how fun erin! :)

Jessica said...

so girlie, what kind of camera does she have? you really were on cloud nine! :D I so can't wait to hear some of what you learned!

Minna and Matt Pedersen said...

Sounds like you had a great day!! I am happy for you!