I toyed with the idea of making a food blog, consisting of all the fun recipes I have found. After 2 days of trying to find the right template, blog look, etc, (I’m so picky with a blog appearance!) I decided to just simplify and post them on this blog. So, I’m going to post the winner recipes here, with pics of the whole cooking process, like what the Pioneer Woman does. I have tried and found some awesome recipes, and thought it would be fun to share them with ya!
Lately, a bunch are from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe, awesome lady. My dear friend Jessica shared this website with me, and cooking in the kitchen has gone from blah to ballistic, thank you, Jessica!!! I’m almost doing the Julie/Julia project; trying all the recipes, making notes. Its been fun!
I’ve made this macaroni recipe about 5 times now. I don’t know if I’ll ever make it another way. No draining in a colander, and the whole thing is cooked in one pot. This is a quick and simple way for instant yuminess. Plus, the kids eat it!
First, you throw in water, evaporated milk, the macaroni, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in your pot, and bring it to a simmer. I get a big bag of macaroni for five bucks at Sams Club. LOVE buying in bulk!
I hardly buy cookbooks any more (just Barefoot Contessa ones!). I use a binder, print off recipes, and stick them in plastic protectors, since food can get all over the recipes.
In a separate bowl, whisk the remaining 1/2 cup evaporated milk, the cornstarch, and mustard together, then add it to the pot. The original recipe only uses 1/2 tsp of mustard. I upped it to a teaspoon, and loved it. I love the taste of dry mustard in home made macaroni!
What it looks like after a little bit of simmering. Stir here and there. I put the lid on it for a bit, speeded up the cooking, which helped because we want to eat this now!
Ready for cheese!
Add cheese and water. The first few times, I didn’t add any water. It was good, but a little dry. I made sure to add water this time. Instant creaminess!
So good, and in much better lighting! Typing this post and seeing the pics makes me want to go make it today. Its a weekly recipe, but I justify twice a week for this, ha ha!
Happy eaters. Finally, some food that Kevin won’t throw!
I’ll be putting these recipes up on the menu bar. What are your favorite family meals? Do share, and enjoy this recipe:)
Skillet Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
Adapted slightly from melskitchencafe.com
3 1/2 cups water, plus extra if needed
1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
12 ounces (about 3 cups) elbow macaroni
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon dry mustard
6 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (1 1/2 cups)
6 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (1 1/2 cups)
2 tablespoons butter, cut into small chunks
Ground black pepper to taste
Heat up 3 1/2 cups water, 1 cup of the evaporated milk, the macaroni, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a simmer in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Cook at a bubbling simmer, until the macaroni is tender and the liquid has thickened up, 9 to 12 minutes. Stir often.
In a small bowl, whisk the remaining 1/2 cup evaporated milk, the cornstarch, and mustard. Add to the skillet. Keep simmering until slightly thickened, about 1 minute.
Take pot off the heat. Stir in the cheddar and Monterey Jack, one handful at a time. Add water if needed, just a little until its creamy enough for you. Stir in the butter and season with salt and pepper to taste. Eat!
PS: You could also add peas, steamed crumbled broccoli, chicken. Many variations!
4 comments:
Mmmm! I'm going to have to try this! We love mac 'n cheese, but always love trying new variations!
going to make this sometime this week! sounds so yummy my kids will love it!
What a coincidence! I recently learned how to make macaroni with a recipe virtually identical to the one you posted and decided it was my favorite way, too. I love to add in veggies as well. Gives it some much needed color.
Thanks Erin, this looks really good!
-Lindsay
Post a Comment