For those who are interested, here are a sample of my notes:)
Some good books that were spoken of:
Gift From The Sea-Anne Morrow Lindbergh
Thomas Jefferson Education For Teens-Oliver DeMille
A Thomas Jefferson Education Home Companion-Oliver Demille
Don’t Sweat The Small Stuff For Teens-Richard Carlson
The Other 90%: How To Unlock Your Vast Untapped Potential For Leadership and Life-Robert K. Cooper (Looks super! Just bought it off Amazon for a penny today. I LOVE AMAZON!!)
Goodreads.com A website that has loads of books and reviews!
Some fun games that make for great teaching:
Games are a great addition to curriculum. I hope to keep learning fun for the boys. Its a great way to learn and retain knowledge. When I was in elementary school, my reading and spelling level was very high. Here’s the main reason why:
Remember the Speak and Spell game? I loved it, and played it all the time. (I’m totally getting it on Ebay soon! Just found it.) So, games can be a great way to learn!
Sum Swamp-Great math game!
Professor Noggin’s Card Games-(This link shows all the editions of the games) Fun card games that cover multiple topics. The mom talked about her kids playing these games, then hearing the facts they learned in movies they watched, like “Percy Jackson”
Wildcraft-A neat game that teaches about herbs.
While we’re on the subject of games, here’s one that I have heard awesome things about:
Learning Resources Money Bag-A Coin Value Game
Classical Kids-CDs that teach about the classical artists
Some neat thoughts:
A sign in one homeschooler’s school room:
1. We respect the rights of others.
2. We are free to make mistakes while learning.
3. Its intelligent to ask for assistance.
4. Take time to think.
5. Have courage to risk.
6. We don’t have to know everything today.
(Beautiful and encouraging words:)
Teach friendship skills, and to be a good listener. Set family rules and boundaries, and stick to them.
If you’re not going to stick to it, (such as “I’m going to ground you for a month!”) don’t say it. Kids will call you on your dishonesty.
Homeschooling is not for everyone.
Create a safe place for your kids.
Sit and talk about stories. Infuse your life with stories.
A fun game: The ‘age’ game; Say an age to someone, and have them tell a story about themselves when they were that old. Neat!
“When homeschooling, the influences from the world come into the home in manageable portions. When the kids ask questions, I’m able to filter the answers and give age appropriate responses.”
When asked about teaching merits, one mom responded “I have a degree in life".
Do your best and enjoy it.
Play the learning games with your children.
All of the books and games above could be applied to any learning, not just homeschooling. There is such a wealth of resources to help learning be fun, enriching, and spiritually uplifting, its amazing! I just wanted to share that with you guys:)
One last closing quote:
“There is no passion to be found playing small-in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.” Nelson Mandela
4 comments:
How are they as far as a 4th grader?
love it! Thanks for sharing this! I'm going to have to look up all those games! They look awesome!
Mmm...apples and cheese is one of my favorite combos. Even after reading all the great tidbits from your homeschooling meeting all I can think about is the fondue :)
Oooh, I need to write all those cool games and ideas down. Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment