Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Lessons learned from two kids


We have been trying to figure out how to help Ethan stop throwing his food and cup at mealtimes. After doing some research, we decided to move him to the table in a booster seat, because he is a big boy now! Also, he no longer is throwing stuff for attention because we are there eating with him. Its been a day, but his behavior is improving. Its fun to sit at the table as a family.


Little Kevin waking up at 8am this morning. So far, he eats at 9pm, at midnight, then at 4am. We're getting some sleep in between and we are so thankful!!!


So quiet and peaceful:)

So things are going pretty well with two kids, although some days are harder than others. Thankfully, Ethan adores his brother and has not shown any negative behavior towards him. At times, he will rest his head in Kevin's lap and try feeding him water from his bottle. It can be hard when I nurse Kevin, and Ethan is clinging to me crying. I try to have toys nearby and one of Ethan's favorite shows on when this happens. I'm pretty much helpless nursing, so if Ethan wants to happily tear apart the laundry hamper or pull shoes out, I just let him. Anything to help me nurse, as long as he doesn't hurt himself. (more baby proofing the house!) As soon as I burp Kevin, wrap him up and lay him down somewhere, I get on the floor with Ethan and give him love. I read that the older child will remember, the baby won't. Its a process of helping one kid at a time, a patience builder for sure. I greatly anticipate the days when Shaun is off, because I have a helper.
We also have been trying to help Ethan stop throwing food, toys, and hitting us. I decided to do some research about toddlers. I realized that I don't know anything about toddlers and have much to learn! What I know is I love Ethan so much, and I don't want to be a yelling parent with him pushing my buttons. Every time he slaps me, I take his hand and rub it gently on me saying "Soft. We don't hit" I'll put him down and if he starts throwing a fit, I try to say a prayer with him. He has picked up so fast on prayer, its wonderful. He will sit on my lap and let me fold his arms. I say a quick ten second prayer and he's off doing a little better. Sometimes at the end of the day, I am tired and need a boost of patience. That's why bedtime for the kids is so great! Break for Mom!
I am reading a great book called "Secrets of the Baby whisperer for toddlers" by Tracy Hogg. It helps me understand my little Ethan's antics better. It also teaches me some firm but loving ways to discipline him and help him with his emotions. I know there are a ton of toddler books out there, but this is my favorite. She uses acronymns such as
HELP
Hold back
Explain
Limit
Praise
So far I have been holding back and watching him instead of jumping in to help or correct. I've learned alot more about Ethan by doing this, and its helped me be more patient. Anyways, good book. If anyone has ideas to on preventing the throwing of toys and such, do tell!
I love being a Mom. I love that we have two boys, and I love being home with them everyday, nurturing them and seeing the growth. I know that Heavenly Father helps all his daughters who are on the educational road of motherhood, and that he strengthens them in times of stress and loss. What a blessing to be alive right now!

2 comments:

Melany said...

wow, that sounds stressful and kinda makes me not want another one for a while :) i'm guessing you're also saying prayers aside from your ones with ethan...:) it sounds like you're doing all you can - just keep with it!

Lana said...

Hang in there man, you're doing great. Little Kevin is soooo adorable. I don't think I"ll ever see another newborn again without tearing up. They're just so sweet.