Monday, March 29, 2010

Something magical is happening..

My garden post isn't done yet, so I wanted to write this. There is something wonderful happening to Ethan as his third birthday is coming closer; he's talking and understanding more. Communication has become ever so slightly easier with him. He's copying everything we say, which you all know can be good or bad:) His sentences are getting longer and more understandable. He still screams when he's trying to communicate, but as I give hime choices, (thanks 'love and logic' book!) he's listening better and the screaming stops. I've heard this happens when 2 year olds get closer to 3. I've just been so accustomed for the past year of hard tantrums and not knowing what exactly Ethan is saying. The sign language helped when he was younger, but as he started talking more, we did less sign. His brain is always going warp speed ahead with everything. I was reading his Cars book to him on the couch. It was a lot of small, typed out words. Out of nowhere, he points to a letter and says 'q'. He saw the Q in Lightning Mqueen. I immediately thought 'who are you?! Are you some kind of Albert Einstein in this little toddler body?" or more importantly, I could see the god in embryo in this sweet, little boy. I felt totally inadequate to be his mom, and wanted to go study right away to be as smart as him, ha ha:)
I've been told by many moms that 'it gets easier' as they get older. The talking will help and the tantrums will start to disappear. Its just nice to finally experience it first hand. I wish to pass on some of this hope to other moms out there with young-uns. Don't despair! Its been a great and hard year with Ethan's toddler stages, but finally it feels as if a cloud has opened, the sun is shining through, and its a joy to have little conversations with our little man, and to help him communicate better with us.

3 comments:

Ally said...

YAY!! I am so happy for you all! Those days are bittersweet. You are happy they are growing up, but then sad becaues of it too! Last week there was a day where HUnter woke up just older. He looked and acted older. When does Ethan turn 3?

Lana said...

I'm so glad things are going easier with Ethan. Sounds like he had a break through, and you're a great mom for hanging in there! :)

Cardalls said...

just keep hanging in there though because sometimes i think 3 is harder than 2...sorry to say. it depends on the child however. they can communicate better but become more defiant...you will do great though!