Thursday, March 25, 2010

My new exercise plan!

Alright, this was a treasure chest to come across. I picked up this book from the library because the title caught my attention. It made me think 'really, let's see' For a little history on me, I started working out in a gym at Ricks/BYUI back in 2000, when I took a weight training class. I loved taking care of my body and feeling in shape, it was great. I did my best to hit the gym, and run at the Hart track as often as possible. Before our boys came to earth, Shaun and I would go to the gym together to keep it up, him for his job, and me to stay feeling physically good. Well.... now that the boys are here and need lots of love and taking care of, post pregnacy body is, well, not like a college student body, ha ha, I have a hard time staying on a consistent workout schedule. I got this awesome treadmill, and keep thinking " I've gotta get on it 3-5 days a week for 30 minutes minimum to reach my goals" Actually, not really, after reading this book.

Now, this is going to sound CRAZY but stay with me. Its strength training, and its doing ONE rep only of each exercise, for up to 90 seconds. That's it. There are three levels of exercises, and I'm only at level 1 because the first few days were HARD! I did the plank position, and my whole body burned. I only could do 20 seconds the first time. The wall sit was even harder. My legs felt like they were on fire, and I wasn't even moving. You just hold still and deep breathe for all you've got. Its crazy because we are so used to thinking that we have to work out a ton in order to lose the weight, get toned and feel great, where this method is short, simple, and super effective. Instead of getting bulkier, you'll get stronger as your body gets smaller. You change your eating habits to include more whole foods and good meat, and start taking some basic vitamins. Now, if you love the feeling of cardio workout, Pete doesn't knock that. He has a section in the book on gym workouts, explaining that its not necessary to do every day of the week. Yet for me, I haven't been able to consistently work out because of the lack of time, and I REALLY want to get back in shape.

Here is a short video that shows the level 1 exercises, and Pete Cerqua.


Check out this book excerpt: "Now, taken head to head, cardio probably burns more calories during a workout than even the most intense strength training, but the real benefit of strength training happens after the workout. For about forty-eight hours after each session, your metabolic rate remains elevated as your body builds and replaces lean muscle tissue. Now for the triple burn that no amount of cardio can provide: for every pound of lean muscle tissue you build through strength training, you speed up your metabolism by thirty-five to fifty calories a day." Whoa! That really struck me. That's how the weight gets lost, metabolism! (Duh, we know this) So after reading through the book a few times, excited to have found this knowledge, I decided to give it a try and go to work.

  • I bought the book for 20 cents on Amazon, paid a whopping five bucks for it, shipping.
  • I went to DI and found a scale, pill box with the days on it, and a Monet picture to hang up in my workout area.
  • I went to Walmart and got a multi vitamin, Vitamin B complex, and Fish oil. (Explained in chapter 4)
  • Shaun got me a stopwatch, because there's no way I could count and do the exercises at the same time.
  • I numbered the weeks on my calendar up to 8, the trial period.
  • I get up at 6am on the weekdays and do 3 minutes of this workout, level 1 for now, and I'm done. I LOVE it!

What I've learned so far from starting last week is this: After I finish my super short workout, my body feels like I've just done the gym. Its so insane. I've had more energy throughout the day. I'm doing better at eating less crap and making really good taco salads, like this one and this morning, I made it to 90 seconds on the wall sit, YES! I just kept telling myself 'hang on for 90 seconds, and then you're done!' and then I collapsed, ha ha:)

So, if you're looking for a new workout plan, you might want to check this out. Read the book. Its in the Vegas libraries. You may fall in love with it, like I did. I'm anxious to see results after 8 weeks. My weight now is 160, and I'm doing this workout 5 days a week.

HERE is the 90 second workout website. Thanks for reading this long and wild post:D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds interesting! let us know how you like it as you continue! my problem with strength training is that can gain muscle very easily--must be that danish blood running through my veins. i did weight training at ricks, too--do you remember me telling you about the TA who tried to pick me up by telling me "those aren't calves, those are cows!"? when i strength train, i always end up looking like Popeye :)

Lana said...

You go girl! :)And I know what you mean, it's hard to get exercise time in, and by the time I can exercise, I'm too tired to do it!