Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Swimming lessons

My Mom was a lifeguard and excellent swimmer, and so she taught me to swim at a very young age. That started my love affair with water (just heard that Brad Paisley song on the radio this week:) and my life has been blessed for it. I love, love, love swimming in pools, beaches, waterparks, I love it all.

I wanted to give that head start to our boys. We began swimming lessons for Ethan, from an awesome lady in our neighborhood. She teaches in her home, is affordable, and is a super teacher. Here’s some fun shots:

Ethan loving the water!

IMG_6841

Kevin happily looking on, stuffing his face with yummies.

IMG_6847

Practicing kicking with Miss Sandy. We usually get to class about five minutes early, and get a free, little impromtu private session, sweet!

IMG_6853 

IMG_6855

IMG_6856

We’re trying to help Ethan master blowing bubbles through his nose with his mouth shut, the basic first thing to learn in swimming. This is where he practices it, on the steps. Its not easy for little guys, as he’s still working on it. We practice in the bathtub. I think he just likes seeing me bending over the tub, practically falling in, getting my face in the water and showing him how its done:) He’ll get it, eventually.

IMG_6857

IMG_6861

I love putting my legs in the water. Shaun was with us that day, being a good photographer:)

IMG_6866

Working on the skill of crawling out of the pool on your own, which is vital.

IMG_6880

So, I know how fearless and active Ethan is. Every day, I keep a close eye on him, as the teacher is busy with multiple students. The first day, Ethan was in the pool standing on the steps. He walked right off and went under. I flew over, grabbed his arm, and yanked him back up. He wasn’t scared, just a little taken back by what just happened. The other parents were amazed at how I saw him go under and how fast I was. I just know my kid.

One of the moms said that a seven year old boy did the same thing at a swim party, and no one saw him go under. Twenty people were there, and he drowned. I wanted to cry, thinking of how such a tragedy could have been prevented if he only knew how to swim. So, I consider swimming lessons a very important priority and put money aside for the lessons.

Plus, we have a fun dream. When the kids are older, we want to go to Schlitterbahn in Texas, the ultimate water park! A trip to Texas, just for the park, because Shaun and I are nuts about waterparks. I have vivid memories of waking up Saturday mornings, and being excited to no end because it was Wet n Wild day for me and my friends.

Can’t you just feel the water spraying in your face, the rush of being in acres of water paradise from this picture? Ha ha!

So, that’s what we’ve been up to, hooray for swimming!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have some great wet and wild memories with you. I am so upset they got rid of it. I need a lazy river in my backyard. Ethan looks like he's going to be a little fish.

Bethany said...

We took swimming lessons as kids too, mainly because my mom was terrified of water and didn't want us to be. I'm grateful!

Plus, they're fun, and looks like Ethan thinks so too! :)

Cardalls said...

We LOVE Miss Sandy she has taught 2 1/2 of my kids to swim. Garrett is ALMOST there and will take lessons starting next week with her :)

Tom and Jen Loveland Family said...

Looks like tons of fun to me! Yay!