Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Mom’s travel adventure

Awhile back, I took my friend’s engagement pictures, and they decided to fly me up to Reno for their wedding in August. Very humbling and flattering. Well, their wedding is this weekend, and its time to pack. I absolutely LOVE shooting weddings. Some photographers don’t like weddings because of the one time chance to get the shot, lots of preparation, etc.  I simply love the atmosphere, the bride and groom dressed up, the cute kids in dresses, the laughing family members, and the food, of course:) I don’t get the chance to shoot many weddings, so I’m excited to make the most of this one. I got more memory cards for all those candids, newly printed business cards, borrowed a flash from a very kind friend, cute blouse from Kohls, and new shoes. I think I’m ready!

Being flown up to the wedding location and staying with the bride’s family has only happened once before to me, and let me tell you what happened. I was an invited guest to be apart of this wonderful family for a few days. I got a glimpse into the pre-wedding day preparations, preparing the food at church, getting the hair done, cute kids everywhere. I experienced the beauty of northern CA, and the mass acres of orchards. I played some Enya on the piano while the family was getting the reception stuff done, and it helped. I saw loving family relationships take place, and was grateful for their hospitality towards me. It was a special weekend.

And so, I’m going for another fun weekend like that, flying by myself, leaving Shaun home with the kids for 2 whole days. I am such a baby for being away from my family, but I guess this is like a little momma’s break, right? I look forward to being able to sit still for about an hour on the plane, and read a book. I think constantly about Shaun doing Mr. Mom, experiencing some of the craziness that can happen with the boys. Lots of eggos, corn dogs, pizza and other convenient food will be eaten. Silly joke threats of “The boys and I are watching “Jurassic Park” while you’re gone” will be heard. Have you ever left your family for a bit, with dad at home with the kids? Was the house still standing when you came back? :)

I haven’t flown in a long time. Is there anything important I need to know when using an airport? Are you allowed to have snacks in your purse, or will they make you take those out?

So, after 2 short, but very busy days, I will be home to cuddle with my family. On the trip, I’ll be on my feet snapping shots, munching on yummy reception food, watching for good lighting and great poses, trying to apply everything I learned from Jeanna’s classes, and praying for Shaun with the boys at home:) I hope everyone has a great weekend!

6 comments:

Bethany said...

Sounds exciting! I think at the airport snacks are ok, but drinks are not. If you're bringing a water bottle, take it through security empty and fill it up on the other side. :)

I hope you have a great time! Even though you'll miss your fam, enjoy the time you get to yourself! :)

Kamey V said...

I'm so excited for you. Sometimes, Mom's need a break. Shaun will appreciate you a lot more when you get back because he'll understand you more. I hope you have a great time!!!

Tracy said...

Snacks are fine, liquids are not.
Good luck, although I don't think you need it. You will do great!

Lealani said...

I totally agree! I absolutely love shotgun weddings, too! Oh, wait, you said SHOOTING weddings...never mind.

Lealani said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erin said...

Believe me, Erin, when you get back you will look 100 times more beautiful to your dear husband. And he will appreciate what you do all the more. I've also found that when I return home again after a weekend away my kids always seem cuter and sweeter and better behaved (probably because I've had a good long break and haven't had to deal with them for awhile.) It's good all around. Have fun!