I’m having a heck of a time with a stupid issue; stressing over things that really don’t matter. Its all about choosing your battles with your kids, and I don’t know why I need to keep learning this over and over again:)
As Ethan gets older, new challenging stages arrive. Trying to get him to sit down at the table for mealtimes, and eat. Its up and down, running around, coming back, trying again to have him sit down and take some bites, and then he’s off running again. I’ve heard this is a normal toddler stage, but mealtimes can be pretty exhausting. He usually goofs around for lunch and dinnertime. I tell him no snacks if he doesn’t eat his meals. He’s been going to bed hungry for a couple days, and wakes up starving for breakfast, the only meal he heartily eats. This, and other crazy, little things have been driving me nutso, and its wearing me out. So I said to myself, “Self, this has to stop. Don’t worry”. Sometimes, you need to remind yourself to chill out, take a deep breath, and enjoy the little blessings more.
Such as these; Kevin finally walking and loving it, Ethan pooping everyday in the toilet, begging to go practice walking reverently around the chapel, and finding a wonderful dentist for him. I had many good dentist referrals from friends, and it was hard to pick one, but we got a good one. The office was so kid friendly, full of seashells and lamps with bubbles in them, and toys. Ethan was afraid to lay down on the chair with the dentist, but sat up in my arms, and was very good while his teeth were being checked out. He got a special bag with a token to buy a present from a treasure chest. What a stinking awesome place! Why can’t they have a treasure chest of toys at the grown up dentists, with cool stuff in it like gift cards to Target, lenses, and new kitchen appliances? :D (There was my Christmas list right there! )
Anyways, this week I’ve been going to bed exhausted at 7:30, (felt so much later!) and decided that I had enough of it. I prayed for help to let go of the power struggles, and more importantly, to see the boys as Heavenly Father sees them. To give them His kind of love. These are his boys, and are on special loan to me. If I can just remember that, and see them through His eyes, oh what a wonderful world it will be.
My Mom would play an old Mormon Tabernacle Choir tape when I was younger. I remembered hearing a song with a chorus that said ‘Pick yourself up, brush yourself off, start all over again’. I love it. I’m finding that I need to do that a lot in this mothering business, and its ok:)





8 comments:
You're a wonderful mom, and we can all tell that you care for your boys. I would be happy if you were my mom. Thanks for always giving inspiration to javascript:void(0)raising my girls.
Hang in there, Erin, you're doing great!
he will learn to sit down, but the chase is probably more fun to watch you get up and chase him!
kitchen appliances! ha ha ha! Erin, you crack me up! If you find that dentist, you let me know and I'll go see him, too!
This post was so sweet, and exactly what I needed to read tonight. You're right; our kids are on special loan from Heavenly Father. He gave their unique spirit to you for a reason! I love that thought! I know as you continue to think and pray about things that knowledge will come to you that will help you and your special boys! That's the great part of motherhood. Heavenly Father is ready and willing to help you! Love you!
Your description of Ethan's exasperating eating habits describe Lucy to a T. (My goodness, it's nice to know I'm not the only one out there with this parenting struggle!) And, like you, I don't have a good answer for the problem. I can't make her sit and eat, so mealtime is done. Which ends up being a problem for mom later on because she'll wake up several times at night hungry. So then I end up having a horrible night's sleep because I'm up checking on her all the time. Talk about punishment for mom. I can only hope she'll outgrow this and finally decide to eat a good square meal (especially dinner).
Sounds like you are doing just fine! And I needed the reminder as well. Although i don't post it on my blog, my middle child gives me plenty to stress about and remembering her divine nature has been one of the things to help me the most! And on a side note, I love that album by the Tabernacle Choir. One of my favorites growing up. :)
My dearest Erin, you write in such a "real" way - I just love it! I feel like we are back in Hillcrest again, with you making me some salad with cillantro in it. :) I miss you. Thank you for being such an example to me, a real friend and a real mother who is struggling and overcoming and picking yourself up and brushing yourself off and starting again. I don't think we can ask for anything more! You are doing great and I love you!
My dearest Erin, you write in such a "real" way - I just love it! I feel like we are back in Hillcrest again, with you making me some salad with cillantro in it. :) I miss you. Thank you for being such an example to me, a real friend and a real mother who is struggling and overcoming and picking yourself up and brushing yourself off and starting again. I don't think we can ask for anything more! You are doing great and I love you!
Post a Comment