Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The most beautiful book

This book, this sweet, gentle, and loving book, is one of the best mother books I've read. Its from Deseret Book, but also available from Amazon cheaper. A dear friend from my mission sent me this gift in the mail, all the way from Florida. Its been six years since I've been on my mission. Can I just say how awesome it is to keep in touch with friends?

Here's a great excerpt to share:

"There is strength to be gained in soaking in the little moments. Strength comes from dropping everything and reading with your nine-year-old because you realize she's more important than any other project you may be working on.  From watching two of your children who are usually at each other's throats on a day when they're getting along. From watching the glow on your child's face when his dad praises him for mowing the lawn well. From letting yourself get caught up in the music your toddlers are dancing to in pure delight. That strength-and how to build it-is all part of the secret of enjoying and loving life as a mother of small children, a lassoer of chaos." p 21

Today has been a crazy day of having food thrown at me from Kevin, at every meal. Ethan snatching toys away from Kevin, resulting in Kevin screaming, and the house not resembling anything like the homes in "Better Homes and Gardens" Reading this book helps me remember that everything's ok, no one is perfect, kids will be crazy at times, and to just keep trying. I hope you have the chance to read this book, its so uplifting:)


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

4 comments:

Cardalls said...

I love this book! Shawni has a great blog that I frequently read...the address is www.71toes.blogspot.com.

Erin said...

"Better homes and gardens" ha ha ha ha! You crack me up. Seriously, I don't think my house EVER resembled that magazine. E.V.E.R! I am always amazed by your tenacity in mothering. It's inspiring! I've heard of this book from several other people. I guess now I will have to read it. Thanks for yet another great tip!

Nathan and Alyssa said...

Thanks for that Erin! I need that today. I've got a sore throat, a headache, and tons of housework. But most importantly, I have a sweet toddler who needs me. Love you!

Lindsay said...

I just read that book a few months ago and loved it as well! It really was inspiring!