Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The big decision

I’m pretty sure I’ll get comments on this one:) Some of you already know this, but I will be homeschooling my boys. Wow! I know. I made this decision about 2 years ago. I actually was homeschooled throughout my teenage years, and it was fun. I got a GED, went to Santa Barbara City College, and transferred to Ricks, that blessed education playground for me. Short story: I was prompted to HS, ignored the spirit, was later prompted again stronger, and started listening better, ha ha! Here’s the detailed story:

As Ethan was turning one, I felt a good prompting to look into homeschooling. The majority (because I’ve heard of some good ones) of the public schools here are, to say it simply, not the greatest. I just did not feel excited thinking of him going off to kindergarten all day. I tried to feel good about it, but couldn’t. I mean, I see everyone’s pics on facebook of their kids’s first day of school, the ward breakfast and all. It looks wonderful. Yet, I got this prompting. So, I began researching, reading books, blogs, and talking to a lot of people. I talked to current homeschoolers in my church, and to former HS moms. I asked why they stopped, and why they loved it. I searched on yahoo groups for local co-op groups, and found some good ones. I found some fabulous blogs and websites. I searched for good curriculum choices, learned about the many methods of HS; Thomas Jefferson Education, Charlotte Mason, unit studies, unschooling, and more.

Then, I set it aside and decided to not pursue it any further, going back to the thought of public school. About a year later, we had some friends over for dinner. As we ate, they brought up the topic of homeschooling. I clearly remember the spirit coming over me again, this time stronger than a year before, about homeschooling little Ethan. I couldn’t eat for a few moments, I just sat there and listened to what I was feeling.

Now, at least two things can happen from ignoring the spirit. One, something physically dangerous can happen to you or two, something wonderful that could have happened, won’t.

And so, I got my gear in action, kicked myself for ignoring the spirit that is always there to help me, and began researching again where I left off.  In the beginning, my first question, the question that is asked by everyone, was about socialization. I simply didn’t know. As I talked to others, researched, and found out that amount of activities out there, I was floored. I read in a book about a HS mom being asked this question, to which she responded, “In the beginning, we did have some problems with over-socialization, but we’ve got it under control now.” That’s just funny. I learned that its not an issue to worry about, as long as I do my part in finding the fun out there, and getting Ethan involved. I learned that if the parent is sociable and normal, so will the kids be.

I joined an amazing group of rock solid HS moms in my church. (If anyone local wants the group info, email me:) This week, I went to their "Not back to school day” activity. A group of families and kids were bowling, and having a great time. I just wanted to get a glimpse of that life. I have learned a lot from attending their Mom’s meetings. Recently, the teenagers put on a Shakespeare play. One mom cried as she described the transformation of shy son to a confident and outgoing person, from being involved in the play and making friends. Another spoke of the teenagers being friendly to all age kids, and joking in a kind, non put down way. Neat stuff.

Now, I know a lot of great families that put their kids in public school, and the kids are doing fine. I have nothing against them at all. For me, this is just something I want to do. Everyone has to look at their family, pray for guidance, and do what’s best for them. Its all good. One mom HS her younger kids, but felt at peace to send her teenage son to public school, and he’s doing fine. I respect that. I plan on taking it one year at a time, and will pray for help. Here’s some basic reasons WHY I want to HS:

  • I want more time with my kids. Sounds crazy, I know, but its true. I want to have more time in the day with them, to do things in the kitchen, take them on field trips, and more. When I was in elementary school, my favorite days were field trips, when we were outside. One Sunday at church, we had a boy visiting our class of six year olds that we teach. He was homeschooled. Curious, I asked him “Why do you like being homeschooled?” Without missing a beat, he responded, “Because I have more time to play”. I want Ethan to have more time to be a kid, and to play.
  • I want them to have joy in learning, not to be drilled. Learning can be so fun, and I plan on doing my best to make it so for my boys. I relish the thought of being in pajamas, sitting on a couch together, working on reading.
  • Develop a closer bond with siblings and family.
  • Flexibility
  • Learning life skills through our schooling. Cooking, chores, service, going to stores, etc.
  • And more that I’m sure I will think of later!

The first year will be an eye opener to me. It is for everyone. Here’s what I’ve read:

  • Have a routine, and do your best to stick to it.
  • Get organized. There will be lots of paperwork, record keeping, etc. I learned about workboxes at the last mom’s meeting. Great idea.
  • Find out about your state’s HS laws.
  • Don’t stress. If you just pulled your kids out of public school, take time to detox. Again, don’t stress. Just take it one day at a time. Learn your kid’s learning style. Drop things that aren’t working, and don’t worry if you spent money on that curriculum. If its not working, let it go, and try something new.
  • Don’t buy a full set of curriculum right away. Rent stuff from the library, check it out, then get it cheap on Amazon. The local library is your candy store. I LOVE requesting books, CDs, etc on the library website, and going to pick it up. Time efficient, indeed!
  • The main thing a kindergartner needs to know is reading, writing, and math. Don’t worry about teaching him the world, just yet:)
  • Find support with other HS. Not everyone will understand why you made this choice. Its good to share your thoughts with them, but it helps to have an understanding friend, too.
  • Don’t be overwhelmed by the ENORMOUS amount of help online about homeschooling. There are tons of blogs that share great info. When I look at some, I’ve narrowed it down to these ones:
  • Home school Creations: Great blog, where the mom shares what she’s doing, does curriculum review, preschool corner, answers your questions quickly. Just an awesome place. Free printables.
  • Confessions of a Homeschooler: Another fabulous site that has LOTS of free pintables, games, and more.
  • Latter Day Homeschooling: The inspiring site. Written by LDS mothers, but great for anyone who is homeschooling. Lots of great articles about the family, ‘what I’ve learned’, Web Wednesday, patriotism, and more. Super site. My favorite out of them all.
  • Heart of the matter Another great one.
  • No time for flash cards: LOVE this site. Lots of activities that can be used for schooling, and good kid book review. I copy the title of the book, paste it into the library search engine, and request it. Books rock! Reading with your kid is gold! I try to do it every day. Realistically, it doesn’t happen every day, but I try.
  • Star fall: Awesome website for learning phonics, reading, etc. Ethan loves it.

Curriculum is another planet to conquer. Here’s a few that sound awesome that we’ll check out:

Shaun is all for it, which helps to have hubby support. I don’t have all the answers, and I’m sure I will stumble and fall plenty in the first year, but I’m excited about it! I will share anything I learn with you here on the blog. We’ll do our best to post what we are learning, answer any questions you have, and discover this path. Its going to be an adventure, for sure. Hope this post was helpful to someone:)

12 comments:

Kamey V said...

Great job for following the spirit and taking care of your family the way the Lord wants you to.
Good luck, and I really do admire you!!

Denise Kerrigan said...

Well, you know I'm a fan of homeschooling, whatever method you choose. We use an online school and tweak it to fit us. Works for us, but not for everyone. You are an amazing mom and I'm sure that even though there are bound to be stumbles along the way, your dedication to it will make it all worth while. Way to go!!

Nick and Jessica said...

AH! You did it again, made someone's eyes water :) It's because I am having such a struggle, I want to HS so much, then I feel like there is no way I could do it (you know on those days where chaos is the only sound). Oh Erin, thanks for posting those blogs. I need to buckle down and pray, I hope the Lord will help me decide soon. I have been debating it since Jocelyn was in the womb :)
Love ya! You'll do awesome! Wish you lived closer!

Heather said...

That's awesome.
Personally, it seems overwhelming to me :) I think it's so neat how we all can receive revelation for our own families. It's a such a blessing to have the Spirit. Good for you for following through.
I love all those sites that you listed. I use many of them for my preschool class :)
Good luck on your journey.

tavia said...

I was home schooled too and it wasent all bad and like you if i feel like its time to pull my kids out i will we as moms need to do the best for our family:)

Ally said...

Motherhood is awesome! We get inspiration for our children, and every child's needs are different from one another. You know what is best for your boys from the help of the Spirit. A sister of mine in Cali finally changed her schools to a charter school and they love it. It sounds alot like what school USED to be like! Learning through projects and art and field trips, not &^%$# work sheets!!
I think there may be a time where we will all need to homeschool to protect out kiddos! The things I hear that children are experiencing at such young ages sickens me.
Goodluck with everything and keep us all posted!

Bethany said...

Cool! I think you'll do fabulously and Ethan will have fun. I was homeschooled for a few years in Elementary School and look back at those years very fondly.

I can't wait to hear all about your adventures! You are going to be my resource if I decide to do it in the future! :)

Erin said...

ah, Erin! You know that I agree with anything you decide to do because I know you spend a lot of time on your knees asking for help! I am so grateful to have you also HS your kids. It's uplifting to hear your thoughts and ideas. Keep at it! You can do it! Some days don't feel like much, but you are adding up a million small acts that all contribute to the character of your sons. They'll always be grateful for you!
Love you!

Michelle said...

I am interested in seeing how it works for you! I'm thinking of homeschool my kids (when I have them). The schools here are pretty violent and I'm so concerned with what they will be exposed to. The places where the schools are less violent I have other concerns that I don't feel likewriting about in a public place :) you will be a pro at it by the time I have to start figuring it out!!

Anonymous said...

Erin,
You have just made a huge decision. I love the reasons why you want to go HS: the bonding. That is such a huge thing in families and so important (feel like i am Jenni speaking here)
I also love that you want to show joy in learning. You will not believe the people in my past schools that do not like learning. That is sad. Learning is fun and can be such a wonderful experience not just for the kids but for the moms. Also I have seen in Home Schooling they look up to you.. and that helps your kids are always watching you, and it doesn't have to be home schooling and can be anything. I have noticed in my life about how other people watch what you do. I watch what you do, and it is amazing.. I have always wanted to do homeschooling mostly because, my mom taught hs to a family: Harris and they really enjoyed and relished it. Relish these times, enjoy them and keep them in your heart. If you ever get across a wall relax pray and try to make a hole so you continue enjoying this experience.. Yes this is a long comment.. but I felt that this is what I have to say. I love you and your inspiration for this.. and like Kamey said: " Good luck, and I really do admire you" if you ever need some help I am on your side.. just call, email, or message me on face-book.
- A dear Friend Mary M.

Eleisha said...

I love, "Reading for All Learners" books and their cheap. Hope they can help! I use them a ton! Google them under "Reading for All Learners" and then, "Little Books". I love set 1-3 the best!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your decision! Just let the Holy Spirit guide and you will do great! Thanks for your kind words about Latter-day Homeschooling.com ☺