Monday, December 6, 2010

Blessings of children

I was looking through a fashion magazine for posing pictures, and came across a harrowing article. It was an international report about the ‘one kid policy’ in China. A woman had 2 boys, full knowing that she had broken the law. Authorities seized her father, and put him in jail. They would not release him until she went to a doctor and got herself sterilized. They have been putting older family members in jail of many women, until the women submit to their demands of sterilization. Some women go in hiding, others have to comply because their family will lose their homes, since they are in jail and cannot work. It is simply heartbreaking.

Here we are living in the land of ‘19 kids and counting’ and these families cannot fulfill their dreams of having a larger family. One woman said ‘its family that brings us happiness, not our country laws’, explaining why she wanted more kids. It made me think about the LDS church in China, and about their members.

I thought about my two boys, how no police are throwing my family in jail, and how I am free to have more, which we do want more. I took a good moment to reflect on this, and how I have taken it for granted. I am so thankful to have two rambunctious, loud, happy boys, even when its rough. I want to do better every day at listening first, then reacting, and teaching them the precious truths of our Savior.

These past few months have sure been busy. I’ve been so blessed to do some mini shoots, and now have the means to get my website. It will be up soon. Thank you, dear clients! I’m trying to balance the business with family life. Tough, so I get up at 4am to read scriptures, answer emails, and work on it. So far, its working great!

We haven’t done too much sitting down for homeschooling. I’ve heard that during the holidays this time, that families take December off for school, and focus on other things. I like that idea. We’ve been working on teaching Ethan his numbers. For review, when the TV is on, Ethan watches me change the volume on the screen. He names the numbers as I raise and lower the volume. Pretty funny way to review, huh? :D

ethan blue eyes

1 comment:

Lealani said...

It's amazing how learning of others' hardships makes you aware of the blessings you enjoy that you didn't even know you had! I felt the same way a few weeks ago after reading a book on slavery. I had an overwhelming sense of how fortunate I am to be allowed to marry, to keep and raise my children, and have a stable, wonderful family. Thanks for your blog.
Yet another thing I can add to my list of blessings.