Saturday, November 28, 2009

Big changes

Well, the day has come; Ethan learned how to crawl out of his crib. He's almost 2 1/2 years old, I guess its time to progress. I was coming to get Ethan up in the morning, and found him on the floor in his bedroom, walking around. I said "Oh, dear", and began to pray for help getting through this new adventure. I tried to have him take his nap that day in the crib, but no good. He got up constantly and came out in the living room. I did the Super Nanny thing, and kept putting him back in his crib silently, about 15 times. It didn't help, at least at that time. Well, I was exhausted and needed to rest badly. I brought a blanket out in the living room, turned on "Finding Nemo" and made him lay there for a bit, while I pondered on what to do. Last night was rough. He went to bed early that night, pooped out, and stayed in the crib fine. At midnight, he came walking in our room, wide awake. He stayed awake for three hours. Shaun and I tried everything to get him back to sleep, and stay in his crib. Shaun put him down a few times, and Ethan came right back in our room. I gave Shaun a rest, and did the super nanny thing again, for almost an hour. My dog Lady came to rest with me on the floor in the hallway. It was nice to have a companion to endure no sleep with me. She was wondering what the heck was going on. We then tried putting his crib on the floor of his bed, on the floor in our room, putting him in bed with us (just for that night only!) All to no avail, he would not simmer down. We didn't want him to think its ok to wander the house at night while we are sleeping. Shaun said to me "What do we do?" and said "I don't know!" We finally tried putting a door knob cover on the inside of his room, and shut him in his bedroom. At midnight, we said about that idea "No, we don't need to do that" At 2am, we said "Well, let's try it. Nothing else is working" Ha ha. It was the only thing that helped him get to sleep. He finally conked out around 3am. Being first time parents and not having a clue, this is a hard bridge to cross. I fell asleep with my hands clasped in prayer, praying that he would go to sleep. How many of you have done that:) Tonight, we are putting his twin mattress with bed rail in his room, with new Cars sheets. I am trying my best to keep the book, snuggle routine, and make it easy for him. I think this will take awhile. I welcome any comments on what you have done with your kids. Thank you for those who have responded on facebook:) Somehow, we will help little Ethan with this transistion, and all will be well. (Amazingly, Kevin slept through all the screaming last night!) I hope everyone is able to help their little ones cross this bridge with love and patience. It must be hard on them too.

No comments: