I didn't plan on doing the Christmas card, family pic thing. We're still getting on our feet from moving in, with tons of projects to do. Yet, I was blessed with a handful of Christmas cards in the mail from dear friends, and it inspired me to do something. My sweet friend Jessica came over and took these pics of us. It was in the afternoon, the fussiest time of day for Ethan, and, well, he just didn't feel like smiling. Oh well, at least he's in the picture, right? Kevin was much easier, so we took some fun shots with him. Today, I packed up the kids with snacks and drinks, (Kevin is weaned, halleluhah!) printed the pics, braved the post office (never again during December!) and mailed off ten cards. Note to self: Get everything done before December!
My big boys; Ethan is 2 1/2, Kevin will be one year next month. Everyone says Kevin is REALLY small for his age. He can't sit up on his own, but he sure can move fast on the ground! He is such a happy baby. Ethan is talking up a storm, loves running around the house and playing with Lady. Lady is so patient with him, dream dog. He gives wonderful hugs, loves avocados, and sleeps great in his new bed.My little cutie:)
Our Christmas present to ourselves was getting a sitter last night, and taking off to gorge ourselves at Claim Jumper. We had the best pasta, and ate that motherload chocolate cake. We just wanted to go out and eat, and it was wonderful!
Christmas will be simple and fun. I'm making a ham in the crock pot for the first time, along with an amazingly yummy green bean casserole, a Paula Deen recipe you can find HERE.
I didn't even like that casserole, till I made this recipe, without mushrooms.
I keep looking around the house and marvel that its ours, and we are the managers. No more apartments. Its extra special for me. I thought back and figured out that its been 18 years since I've lived in a home of my own. I grew up in a little house in Burbank, Ca. Since 1991, my Mom and I have lived in
- Grandma's house (in that awesome tile floored basement to beat the Vegas heat!)
- Friend's two bedroom apartment in Mesa, AZ (with our 2 dogs, one being a St Bernard! Celestial friend)
- Our van for about 5 months. The back seat pulled into a small bed that I shared with Mom. We would sleep in rest stops near the big trucks with the dogs in the car, felt safe to us.
- Our nine foot trailer for a month in the Kooskia campground
- Friend's house for a year in the country mountains of Kooskia, ID. Incredible experience for a city slicker like me. Learned how to milk goats and cows, make butter and cheese from scratch, read out loud the "Tennis Shoes among the Nephites" series my friends while they washed dishes.
- Back in the trailer for a bit, living on the property in Kooskia that would not turn out for us, but hey, it had an outhouse:)
- Garage. Floor heaters to stay warm, along with the down comforters.
- Friend's backyard, living in our trailer. So thankful to them.
- Apartment, with the dogs, Vegas. Mom had a live in job taking care of an invalid. There was a grand piano for me to play on, which is where all the song writing began in 1995. Huge blessing.
- House rental in Tacoma, WA helping some family out 1997
- Single wide trailer in Kooskia, with a huge garden to eat from. Kerosene lamps for more light. Wood stove for warmth. Redneck neighbor that jumped on our porch with his HUGE shotgun, aiming at a deer across the street. Hilarious. The noise from the gun scared the snot out of my St Bernard.
- Stayed with family in beautiful Carpinteria, CA.
- Another single wide trailer in Carpinteria. Worked at a little grocery store to help pay for utilites (everything in CA is expensive) Saw lots of movie stars at the store, not allowed to bother them for autographs. Attended Santa Barbara city college, dreaming of going to a church college
- Dorm, and off campus apartments in Rexburg, ID 1999. Had a blast attending Ricks for 2 years.
- Provo house with roomies, figuring out what to do next in life. 2002
- Mission life in Florida. Stayed for seven months in one country area, central Florida, in a small house on a big property. In a threesome that at times was challenging. You know that part on Sense and Sensiblity when the mom and sisters are all in their room crying with Eleanor sitting outside on the stairs listening? Yea, that exact moment happened to me in that house:) With prayer and laughs, a threesome can survive.
- Back in the trailer in Carpinteria for a bit, then off to Provo in another house with roomies. 2004
- Rexburg, 'Hill's house with 11 other roomates. Yes, I'm crazy. Sunday morning, we had a line of towels on the floor heading towards the one bathroom with a shower, waiting our turn. Insane! Learned how to be extra courteous sharing, and to do my dishes promptly.
- 2005, rented a room with another great family in Vegas. The blessed summer that I said 'the heck with it' concerning marriage, and found Shaun at the Willow Springs Singles ward.
- Back at 'Hill's' house finishing college in Rexburg for four months
- Inlaws house for six months, newlyweds
- 3 years of apartment in Vegas
So, you'll have to forgive me if I get a little emotional turning on the faucet in the bathroom, grateful that its not a bathroom in a gas station, or getting giddy putting up christmas lights outside just because we can. I love having my own home again. This is my Christmas present from the Lord to me, along with a beautiful family. Merry Christmas, everyone!





5 comments:
I love your Family pictures they are so sweet.
I'm so glad you have your own home! That really must feel amazing! Cute family too!
I love you Erin. You are amazing. You are such a great example to me. I'm so grateful to Heavenly Father for putting you in my life. I'm so happy that you have your own home. It's an amazing feeling, and you deserve it.
thanks for your christmas card! so cute. :)
You are so welcome! The pictures turned so cute :) You have a beautiful home, and should be proud and thrilled with it!
Post a Comment